Mesothelioma UK, the Leicester-based national charity supporting people with asbestos-related cancer, is commemorating this year’s national Action Mesothelioma Day with a service of reflection and hope at Leicester Cathedral at 2pm on 6 July 2018.
Action Mesothelioma Day is an annual day to raise awareness and pay tribute to all those people living with the mesothelioma cancer. The UK has the world’s highest incidence of mesothelioma with more than 2,700 people diagnosed each year and this number is increasing. The rising number of patients is directly linked to the UK’s continued import and use of asbestos into the late 1990s.
Patients, carers, family members and local dignitaries and health care team members will be invited to hang personal messages on a remembrance tree, listen to presentations from healthcare professionals and patients, witness a symbolic dove release and enjoy a strawberry cream tea after the service.
Speakers at this 13th annual service include:
- Reverend Mark Burleigh University Hospitals of Leicester
- Lord Mayor, Councillor Ross Grant
- Karen Lord, Mesothelioma Nurse Specialist, University Hospitals Leicester
- Mags Portman, Mesothelioma Patient
- Doctor Alan Dawson, Specialist Registrar University Hospitals of Leicester
- Linda Lakin, Mesothelioma Patient
- Colonel Ian Crowe, Non-Executive Director University Hospitals
- Liz Darlison, Mesothelioma UK Director of Services
- Mr John Adler, Chief Executive, University Hospitals Leicester
Liz Darlison, Mesothelioma UK Director of Services said: “We invite local families, patients and carers to join us on Action Mesothelioma Day to pay tribute to those people affected by mesothelioma and also to help raise awareness about the devastating consequences that asbestos can have.”
Everyone affected by mesothelioma is welcome to attend on Friday 6 July – please contact Jill Lemon on 0116 2965232 or email email@example.com to register your interest and have a loved one’s name added to the scroll of remembrance which is displayed during the ceremony.