Benefits Advice



If you have been given a diagnosis of mesothelioma there are government benefits and lump sum compensation that you may be entitled to. Many of these benefits are not means-tested, so it doesn’t matter how much income and/or savings you currently have – you will still be eligible.

“My mum felt guilty getting benefits – she had never received a benefit in her life. It was difficult for her to accept that she was entitled to them. But her cancer nurse helped her to see that these benefits are there for a reason and, after us as a family encouraging her to seek out the information, she finally applied.” ~ daughter of a mesothelioma patient

Please don’t be put off if you have not claimed benefits before; Mesothelioma UK funds specialist benefits advisors who are available to help explain what you will be entitled to and complete the application forms on your behalf.

To speak to one of them please call 0800 169 2409 or contact Sarah or Lisa directly.

Sarah Thomas, Senior Benefits Officer
Sarah takes cases from across North East England, from Northumberland down to Middlesborough. This includes anyone with a mesothelioma diagnosis, their family members or carers. She will sign post to local asbestos support groups and other appropriate organisations.

To contact Sarah call 0191 820 3104 or email

Lisa Booth, HASAG.
Lisa specifically deals with benefits for veterans. If you were in the armed forces and would like advice about your benefits, please contact Lisa by calling 
02380 010 016 or email  

What might I be able to claim?

This depends on whether you are over or under State Pension Age:

For people over State Pension Age:  
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit* 
  • Government Lump Sum 
  • Attendance Allowance 
  • Constant Attendance Allowance 
  • Pension Credit 
  • Housing Benefit 
  • Council Tax Support
  • Blue Badge  
For people under State Pension Age:   
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit*
  • Constant Attendance Allowance 
  • Government Lump Sum 
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Statutory Sick Pay 
  • Employment & Support Allowance 
  • Universal Credit 
  • Council Tax Support  
  • Blue Badge & Prescription Charges

To find out more, you can watch our short video at the top of the page, or look at our benefits patient information leaflets. However, it may be quicker and easier to find out what you might be entitled to by contacting one of our benefits advisors.

*Please note, if you are already receiving other means-tested benefits, please seek advice from our benefits advisors before applying for Industrial Disablement Benefit, as it may reduce the amount of your current benefits.

Is there any support available for my family?

Carers Allowance – if someone cares for you, unpaid, for at least 35 hours a week they may be able to claim Carers Allowance. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person that is caring for you.

If someone with mesothelioma dies, their family may also be entitled to:

  • Government Lump Sum
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Bereavement Benefits
  • Funeral Payment
I’m a veteran – what support is there for me?

We have a dedicated benefits advisor, Lisa Booth, HASAG. Lisa specifically deals with benefits for veterans. If you were in the armed forces and would like advice about your benefits, please contact Lisa by calling 02380 010 016 or email


If you have any questions about any of the information provided on this page, please call 0800 169 2409.  

(3 minutes)