Patient Travel Grant
For mesothelioma patients who are participating in a clinical trial that is not in their local area, Mesothelioma UK has a patient travel grant that you can apply to for help with the cost of attending clinical trial appointments.
What can you claim for?
- One visit to seek a specialist / second opinion out of area
- Accessing a clinical trial which does not provide travel costs, and which is not in your local area.
What costs can be claimed?
You may claim the following costs for the patient and one companion:
- Standard class travel on public transport or mileage at a rate of 25p per mile
- Up to £60 per night for accommodation for a maximum of two nights
- Car parking to a maximum of £5 per visit
How do I claim?
If you are not part of a clinical trial you may still be able to get help with travel costs from the hospital.
Macmillan Cancer Support have a comprehensive section on their website about how and where to access financial support for travelling for cancer treatment. You can read it here.