Project Northern Ireland
The Mesothelioma UK Northern Ireland project was established in response to contact the charity had with the Rodgers family from Newry, Co Down, following the passing of their father, Tony on New Year’s Day 2022.
There are around 50 people diagnosed with mesothelioma in Northern Ireland each year. Mesothelioma UK is aware of the need to provide support services in Northern Ireland for people with mesothelioma, their carers and healthcare professionals, and is keen to establish Clinical Nurse Specialists (CNSs) in Northern Ireland similar to those in Scotland and Wales.
In collaboration with the Rodgers family, Health and Social Care Northern Ireland, Macmillan Cancer Support and local clinicians we’re working to ensure that mesothelioma patients and their families in Northern Ireland have access to the best treatment, care and support available.
- Mesothelioma UK was contacted by the Rodgers family, whose father died of mesothelioma. The family was keen to raise awareness and funds to help improve services offered to patients in Northern Ireland. You can read about their campaigning in the following news articles:
The Rodgers family fundraising quiz night
- Preliminary discussions were held with Health and Social Care Northern Ireland about how to improve the provision of mesothelioma CNSs for patients
- Discussions were held with clinicians including lung CNSs and lead cancer nurses working in Northern Ireland to assess the appetite and need for posts
- Create Northern Ireland first Mesothelioma CNS posts
- Include Northern Ireland data in the next version of the National Mesothelioma Audit Report
- Work closely with the Clinical Expert Panel Northern Ireland representatives
- Link with NI cancer charities including Macmillan Cancer Support Northern Ireland
- Explore the possibility of establishing a NI mesothelioma MDT meeting
- Assist with the set-up of and linking to mesothelioma support groups
Where we’re at now
- The Rodgers family are undertaking fundraising – currently at £35,000
- Mesothelioma UK welcomes donations directly for Project Northern Ireland, please use the form below to make your donation (and don’t forget to Gift Aid your donation if you can!)
- Macmillan Cancer Support supportive and keen to partner.
- Discussions with a Health & Social Care Trust in NI to consider hosting and appointment of Mesothelioma UK CNS are ongoing.
- Local companies and charities open to supporting the project are encouraged to make contact
If you have any questions about accessing care in Northern Ireland, or wish to discuss any aspect of your mesothelioma with a nurse, please call our Freephone Support Line on 0800 169 2409 or email email@example.com