Mesothelioma UK Research Centreat the University of Sheffield
In July 2020, the Mesothelioma UK Research Centre was established at the University of Sheffield, funded by Mesothelioma UK. The Research Centre is based in the Division of Nursing and Midwifery at the Health Sciences School.
The aim of the Mesothelioma UK Research Centre – Sheffield is to conduct a portfolio of robust and rigorous research with a reputation for excellence. The goal is for the research to benefit the care of people diagnosed with mesothelioma and their families.
The new centre will be the first of its kind in the country to focus on mesothelioma experience-based research which will be used to inform health professionals and support organisations on how to improve the vital support and care needed for mesothelioma patients, their family and carers.
The Research Centre has a webpage dedicated to its activities and a mailing list so you can keep up to date with all of the latest information.
The core objectives of the Research Centre are:
- Conduct robust and rigorous research with a reputation for excellence nationally and internationally that is of benefit to the care of people diagnosed with mesothelioma and their families
- Produce research outputs from the outset that demonstrate the success of the Research Centre and facilitate application of findings
- Ensure the research is disseminated rigorously to enable practice, patients and healthcare professionals remain informed and receive maximum benefit from any evidence generated between Mesothelioma UK and the Mesothelioma UK Research Centre
- Develop and maintain the infrastructure and systems necessary to ensure the good governance and efficient running of the Research Centre
- Develop research capacity to inform mesothelioma policy and practice and develop opportunities for future academic and clinical academic workforce related to mesothelioma
- Generate a clear pathway to impact that improves patient experience
The researchers at the University of Sheffield have collaborated with Mesothelioma UK on research projects in the past. More information on past research projects funded by Mesothelioma UK can be found here.
To find out about current projects that the Research Centre is undertaking, click here.
The Research Centre is led by Professor Angela Tod and Dr Clare Gardiner.
Professor Angela Tod
Dr Clare Gardiner
Since the Mesothelioma UK Research Centre (Sheffield) (MURC) was established in July 2020, the first of its kind research facility has made great progress. A few key achievements from its first year are summarised below. In addition to the full research team, honorary...