How we collect information about you
We may collect information given to us directly by you when you request any information about us or our services, complete any forms on the website, become a volunteer, register for one of our events, phone our freephone number, email the information line, make a donation or purchase a product.
When you use our website, we collect your personal information using “cookies” and other tracking methods. There are more details on the cookies and tracking methods we use below.
We may also collect information about you indirectly when you access our website including information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, details of your visits to our website and the pages and resources that you access.
Cookies in use on this website
Cookies are small text files that can be used by websites to make a user’s experience more efficient.
The law states that we can store cookies on your device if they are strictly necessary for the operation of this site. For all other types of cookies we need your permission.
This site uses different types of cookies. Some cookies are placed by third party services that appear on our pages.
You can at any time change or withdraw your consent from the Cookie Declaration on our website.
Your consent applies to the following domains: www.mesothelioma.uk.com
Your consent ID: ELxX1J/SGsDsRNGgZkYYl7Zcp/1A7XhoTsz6R4aBLyKK43h93jLwfw==Consent date: Tuesday, August 4, 2020, 11:34:44 AM GMT+1
Cookies and Google Analytics
We’re providing you this information as part of our commitment to comply with legislation, and to make sure we’re honest and clear about your privacy when using our website. Please be assured that we’re working on a number of other privacy and cookie-related improvements to the website. We respect your choice on whether you wish to enable cookies or not when visiting this website.
We believe you will have a better browsing experience of our website using cookies, especially as the site contains many contact forms and searching mechanisms. If you don’t wish to use (and disable) cookies, you’ll still be able to browse the site. Most web browsers have cookies enabled, but see the ‘Disabling and enabling cookies’ page for help to turn them on should you need to.
We do have relationships with carefully-selected and monitored advertising partners who may also set cookies during your visit to be used for solely advertising purposes – all advertising when clicked upon opens in a new window – please note that we’re not responsible for the content of external websites.
What personal information we collect
We collect store and use the following kinds of personal information:
- Your name
- Your contact details including postal address, e-mail address and telephone number.
- Whether you are a patient, a carer, a fundraiser or a healthcare professional.
- If you contact the information line to speak to a nurse or benefits advisor, information necessary to assist you, which may include details about your medical history, as well as your current medical condition, whether you have armed forces service, details of your exposure to asbestos, your occupation, details of any civil claim you may have, and details of any benefits you receive.
- Date of death and funeral information
- Details of any fundraising pages relating to Mesothelioma UK
- If you apply for a job with us, information necessary to process your application and access your suitability
- If you apply for research funding, information necessary to process your application
- Where you have left us a legacy, information on next of kin and solicitor details
- Information as to whether you are a taxpayer to enable us to claim Gift Aid
- Any other personal information you provide to us
How we use your information
We will use your personal information to:
- Answer any queries you have via the information helpline when speaking to a nurse or benefits advisor
- Provide you with the services, products or information you asked for;
- administer your donation or support your fundraising, including processing Gift Aid;
- keep a record of your relationship with us;
- respond to or fulfil any requests, complaints or queries you make to us;
- understand how we can improve our services, products or information by conducting analysis and market research;
- manage our events;
- further our charitable objectives;
- register, administer and personalise online accounts when you sign up to products we have developed;
- send you correspondence and communicate with you;
- process applications for funding and for administration of our role in the projects we fund;
- administer our websites and to troubleshoot, perform data analysis, research, generate statistics and surveys related to our technical systems;
- testing our technical systems to make sure they are working as expected;
- display content to you in a way appropriate to the device you are using (for example if you are viewing content on a mobile device or a computer);
- generate reports on our work, services and events;
- safeguard our staff and volunteers;
- conduct due diligence and ethical screening;
- monitor website use to identify visitor location, guard against disruptive use, monitor website traffic and/or personalise information which is presented to you;
- process your application for a job or volunteering position;
- conduct training and quality control;
- audit and administer our accounts;
- meet our legal obligations, for instance to perform contracts between you and us, or our obligations to regulators, government and/or law enforcement bodies;
- carry out fraud prevention and money laundering checks;
- establish, defend or enforce legal claims.
How we keep your information safe
Mesothelioma UK uses rigorous procedures in line with General Data Protection Requirements legislation to prevent unauthorised access to your information. These include physical, electronic and procedural measures. Information transmitted via the personal information forms on this website is done via a secure mechanism that encrypts the data being transferred and is only readable to us the recipient.
Mesothelioma UK will never collect personal information about you without your knowledge, and will only use that information for a known reason. Information provided will not be passed to outside organisations, agencies or individuals, unless there is a legal requirement to do so.
Updating your information
Individuals have the right to request a copy of the information that is held by Mesothelioma UK. If you require a copy of your information please email email@example.com.
If you would like to update your information as you have moved address or other details have changed, please contact us either by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by freephone 0800 169 2409
What we will do in a breach
In the unlikely event of a breach, Mesothelioma UK will contact the individuals whose personal information has been breached within 72 hours. Mesothelioma UK will also report the information breach it the Information Commissioner’s Office.