Prevention and Awareness
Mesothelioma UK is focused on clinical and fundraising, but we also work hard to raise awareness of mesothelioma and the dangers of asbestos exposure.
To do this, we deliver our own projects and services as well as collaborating with other agencies and organisations who also aim to raise awareness of mesothelioma and asbestos danger.
UK Mesothelioma Alliance (UKMA)
The UK Mesothelioma Alliance (UKMA) was established in 2017 to bring together mesothelioma stakeholders as one voice to raise awareness of mesothelioma through agreed projects.
Members include mesothelioma patient/carer advocates, campaigners and charities, and asbestos charities and support groups, campaigners and trade unions.
Key beliefs and objectives:
The UK Mesothelioma Alliance believes that:
- Equitable access to treatment and care wherever patients are in the UK is crucial to improve outcomes
- Raising awareness of mesothelioma and the dangers of asbestos is vital to both increase early diagnosis and reduce exposure to asbestos
Mesothelioma UK is a member of UKMA.
Action Mesothelioma Day
Action Mesothelioma Day is an annual day to raise awareness and pay tribute to all those people living with mesothelioma. Each year, on 6 July, events take place around the country and are attended by patients, carers, families and friends, and healthcare professionals.
The ceremonies vary but there are generally speeches and some way of honouring and remembering those who have died. The day is an important way of bringing people together for support and also for raising awareness of mesothelioma and the need for more research into it.
The local Operations Team for Mesothelioma UK organises a service at Leicester Cathedral each year and promotes the other events taking place around the country, run by various Clinical Nurse Specialists and Support Groups.
IOSH’s No Time To Lose Campaign
The Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)’s No Time to Lose campaign aims to get carcinogenic exposure issues more widely understood and help businesses take action.
The campaign is working to:
- raise awareness of a significant health issue facing workers in the UK and internationally
- suggest some solutions on a UK scale to tackle the problem – a national model that can be transposed internationally
- offer free practical, original materials to businesses to help them deliver effective prevention programmes.
Mesothelioma UK is working with IOSH to promote its campaign, share its resources on asbestos exposure, and support the organisation in any way that we can.
Supporting Our Armed Forces
Mesothelioma UK delivers a specialist, UK-wide service for armed forces personnel and veterans. The service is called ‘Mesothelioma UK - Supporting Our Armed Forces’.
The service aims to raise awareness of the disease and establish a comprehensive, shared approach to providing mesothelioma information and support for armed forces personnel and veterans.
- Provides a specialist mesothelioma nurse, based in Southampton
- Provides a finance and benefits advisor who can deal specifically with Armed Forces personnel and veterans
- Works with multiple organisations and healthcare professionals, responsible for meeting the healthcare needs of Armed Forces personnel and veterans, to raise awareness about mesothelioma and available support
- Offers a range of information resources to raise awareness of the disease within the Armed Forces and military personnel community
- Provides a Facebook group specifically for the Armed Forces patients and their family and friends - facebook.com/groups/mesoukarmedforces
- Has a comprehensive research programme that will collate all available data to quantify and describe the mesothelioma burden among the Armed Forces and also explore the experience of Armed Forces personnel in relation to mesothelioma