constitutes good follow-up care?
Recent research from the Mesothelioma UK Research Centre at the University of Sheffield identified 6 key priorities that can help ensure good follow-up care:
this can be achieved
Utilising the expertise of mesothelioma and other lung cancer specialist nurses can help foster continuity of care and ensure patients and their families feel supported.
Mesothelioma UK supports mesothelioma clinical nurse specialists throughout the UK. Within England, we aim to cover each Cancer Alliance, as well as provide more than one nurse within large alliances, or ones with a high patient volume. In Scotland, we are funders of the Scottish Mesothelioma Network and are proud to work in partnership to fund clinical nurse specialists in Scotland. In 2020 we launched Project Wales to establish an MDT and create a network of mesothelioma clinical nurse specialists.
Facilitating access to the right information at the right time can help people feel better prepared and support them in making informed decisions about their treatment and care:
- People can receive expert advice and support from our support line which offers a call back service from a Mesothelioma Clinical Nurse Specialist. Freephone: 0800 169 2409 Mon to Fri 08:30 to 16:30
- Our downloadable leaflets and booklets cover topics relevant to all stages of the patient journey.
- Our website also has lots of information for patients including looking after yourself and understanding clinical trials.
- People affected by mesothelioma can share information and experience with others via support groups.
- Dealing with financial and legal matters can be stressful. We have a team of specialist Benefits Advisors who can help people understand what they may be entitled to claim. In addition, legal information, including links to our legal panel, can be found here.
- Our monthly Mesothelioma Matters Webinars are a great way to learn about key topics in mesothelioma. Past topics covered include surgery, multidisciplinary teams, chemo-immunotherapy and peritoneal mesothelioma. People can access previous webinars as well as sign up to upcoming ones here.
- Having discussions with patients about palliative care early on can make a big difference to their quality of life. Further Information can be found here.