Expert Witness Core Training in partnership with The Expert Witness Institute
December 1, 2023 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm£750.00
Are you interested in becoming an expert witness? Lawyers seek medical professionals to write care reports to understand the costs of treatments and scope of life of a patient diagnosed with mesothelioma and other illnesses/ diseases. Mesothelioma UK has partnered with the Expert Witness Institute to deliver knowledge, information, and training in this Expert Witness Core Training course.
The course will be delivered over two full day webinars and three evening webinars with over 18 hours of training.
The listed course date is tentative.
About the Expert Witness Institute
The Expert Witness Institute (EWI) is the voice of the expert witness community, championing experts from all professional disciplines and the lawyers who use their services. Its mission is to support the proper administration of justice and the early resolution of disputes through high-quality expert evidence from specialists. Launched in 1996, the EWI is independent of outside commercial interests. A not-for-profit organisation limited by guarantee, it is run by a Board of Governors that is democratic, transparent and fully accountable to members. Our president is Lord Hodge.
We recommend that anyone looking to become an expert witness undertake the following core training in the following subjects:
Law for Experts, which covers:
- The UK Constitution and a history of the English Legal System
- The expert witness’ duty to the court
- Importance of report compliance – the different rules that apply and why
- What to expect if you end up having to appear in court
- Court terminology and the unique language of the judicial system translated
- Anatomy of court law and the different court systems
- Key court cases and reforms relevant to expert witnesses
- Sources of law
- The doctrine of binding precedent
- The legal profession under the microscope
Report Writing outline:
Report Writing 1
- Court requirements for expert reports
- Statement of truth
- Report types
- Timing of the expert instruction and its implications for report content
- Analysing the letter of instruction to ensure report meets the brief
- Report structures / templates
- Opinion writing
- Efficiency, proportionality and profitability through report writing
- Common mistakes in report writing
Report Writing 2
- Understand the latest updates to court procedures and rules as they apply to reports
- Explore the fundamental categories of legal test and understand its importance in evidence
- Understand the thought process for applying legal tests correctly using simple and complex factual and technical scenarios
- Understand how to generate a list of issues prior to the production of the report
- Develop and enhance opinion writing skills for complex cases, such as causation, damage and quantum
- Understand how to deal with causation in multi-incident compensation claims
- Understand how to deal with the range of professional opinion on issues in dispute
- Learn approaches for dealing with reporting situations involving technical or complex issues
Discussions of Experts and writing joint statements course outline:
- Legal duties in respect of Experts’ Discussions & Joint Statements
- Importance of this function of the Expert Witness’s role
- Process: from agendas to conclusion of the meeting & statement
- How to prepare for the meeting
- Nuances and difficulties that can occur and strategies for dealing with these
The course will be delivered virtually via Zoom for all sessions and is limited to 15 registrations per session.
The cost of this course is £750 and includes provisional membership with the Expert Witness Institute (which is for those who are new to being an expert witness, have completed core training, and would benefit from the support of more experienced members and fellows in providing advice on all aspects of being an expert).
To book your place or for more information please either purchase your ticket below or email email@example.com